Thursday, September 6, 2007

Back From BarCon and Ready to....Unbox??

Well this past week I've been out of town at the BarCon!! It's a weekend where our group of friends (Beeners (nickname for the group of friends I've had for a long time. It's along the lines of the Goonies in Goonies) and others who are friends) gather at my friend Bar's hut for a long weekend of Gaming. This is the 4th year that BarCon has happened. Year one there was no real theme just BarCon. Year two it was Monster Menace (think Godzilla, Rampage and such). Year Three was Pirates and all things Pirate like. This year it was Close Encounters of the BarCon Kind. Well the weekend went down as follows:

Thursday Flew into town and met Bef at the airport say Hi Bef!!


Well after a quick stop at the Car rental where we got upgraded into a Rav4, which was actually quite spacious, we headed off to BarCon. B!'s navigation to BarCon was a little off in one area but we persevered and made it at last to the BarCon! Only to be greeted by this year's guest host:

Zelnak


For the rest of the evening we had drank some, people smoked, people gamed and most important of all people got in some Deck Chit-Chat. Deck Chit Chat is an unofficial event during BarCon that happens once or even multiple times. But one thing is clear what's said on the Deck stays on the Deck, well except for the neighbors we probably annoy! For dinner we have homemade grilled pizza and was it delicious as always when Kong and Bar tag team it!! *ding* *ding* *ding* Ladies and Gentlemen we have your Grilled Pizza Intercontinental Heavyweight Champions of the World!! I give you Bar and Kong!!! Well after some more drinking, gaming, smoking and chit-chat it's off to bed for everyone at the BarCon. This year I didn't get my deck bed but did get the coolest room in the Hut, oh did I mention that the Hut doesn't have A/C??

Friday I wake up to the stoke of the keyboard and an elbow if I'm not mistaken. Yep that's right our friend Bef is logging into the Realms to do some daily quests for rep. After the blowing up of eggs it was time for some break and then off to the BarCon Annual Frisbee Golf Tournament. Being as I'm not working this was my first year of enjoying BarCon all the way and the first time I got to play in the Tourney!! Unfortunately I haven't played in a while so I did alright for being so rusty. After the tourney we headed off for Wings and Poker/Trivia at a local wing joint. Hmmmmmmmm Wings!!!!!! Well then it was back to headquarters and time for some more gaming! After another night of eating, drinking, smoking, chit-chat and gaming it was off to bed but not too early.

Saturday I received multiple elbows to wake up to. And also throughout the day. For some reason there was a bounty placed on B! you got a 1,000 Space Bucks to drop the elbow. Oh well I just gave watts back and also some Elbow justice of my own!! LOL!! Well Saturday followed the same pattern as the previous days with gaming, eating, smoking and we can't forget the drinking. That is until the 3rd annual BarCon Texas Hold'em No Limit Tournament brought to you by BefBoda Enterprises. This year's final three, we give out medals and other prizes for finishing in the top three, featured two familiar faces. In 3rd place was last year's winner "The Big Cheese" Tim and in 2nd place moving up one spot was "Stonewall" Barsky!! We're already laying bets on the big Barbosky taking the title next year as he's been a constant at the final tables. We also give out prizes for being the first to leave and a hidden bounty prize.

Sunday was another round of waking up to Bef dailies and elbows galore. Also was the first annual Fun Run titled this year appropriately since everyone was surviving on minimal sleep, well everyone but one of us *nod* *nod* *wink* *win* you know who you are, "Sucking Vacuum" Fun run!! It was a mile and for those who did it they got a little rejuvenation while getting the old blood pumpin'. Then came the sad part of BarCon the BarB!Q where we wrap it all up by gorging ourselves on good quality grub, birthday cake (for the two little girls who's birthday's are close to BarCon) and of course the Auction for games and other misc items. Did you save up all your Space Bucks well time to put in a bid!! I got a super hard alien head puzzle game and alien head pen that lights up when you write.

Well Bye BarCon it was a great year!




For most people that was the end of BarCon and for me it was too but I got to stick around and help get the Clean up effort started on Monday while the shuttle services got Bef to his flight. I was staying a couple extra days to meet up with other friends I haven't seen since we moved down to California. Monday we took in the Transformer's movie so that Kong and Bar got to see it, it was the second viewing for me. It's not a great movie but is a good action film with lots of explosions and stuff. Good Time!! We also made it over to the sponsor of BarCon Rainy Day Games where I picked up the 5th expansion for Munchkin and some packs for a new game called Star Wars Pocketmodel TCG.

Tuesday I went to Fire on the Mountain,the best Wing place I've ever been to, with my friend Dawg. If you ever make it there you've got to try the Spicy Peanut sauce. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Then I made a quick stop off at the old office to drop off my keys and to say high to all my friends who are still there. It was a good visit to check up on folk and stuff. Then it was off to my friend Mike's house for dinner with his family and a good friend, and old boss/coworker, Robert. It was good evening just to sit and talk with friends and eat some good food. Then it was back to the Bar Hut for some shut eye.

Wednesday I met my Brother-In-Law (BIL) at Chipotle for some Lunch. Him and his family had just gotten back from our place down in California where they were visiting some family and friends including my wife and our new hut. He had some good things to say about the place and that was great to hear because I value his opinion very highly. Then after that it was a quick stop off at REI to pick up some new shoes as mine were starting to fall apart. Then off to the Airport. Man was that an adventure. 84 was backed up so I stayed on I-5 then that was backed up so I got off at an unfamiliar exit, can you say uh-oh!! Well I felt lost for the next 15 minutes until finally the road I was on looped back to where I thought it would go just off I-5. There were no issues with the flight so got home on time.

Man and what a good job my wife and BIL and family did unpacking tons of stuff and getting things setup. Great job you guys and thanks for helping her out greatly appreciated. Oh and Jere I got the TV up this morning just had to rotate it a little onto the narrow side and it was actually pretty easy to get up there. So that's one thing down. Well two if you count that I got all my books unpacked and into my bookcase. Hmmmmmm I don't seem to remember it being that crowded before. I have a shit load of books!! Oh well so I think based on what I've seen I've only got like 5 boxes to go through. Like I said they did an Awesome job while they were here.

Well that's all for now!

4 comments:

Ms Eva said...

Fun times for sure - but let us point out that while there is quite a bit of chain-smoking, not everyone takes part in that ritual at BarCon. :)

Ms Eva said...

I'm excited about next years theme - the kiddos and I already have costumes. Just need to hook BuD up, now. :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet BarCon write-up and photos B! Almost like reliving it. And if only I had KNOWN about the elbow bounty I'd have thrown one of my own instead of just watching from afar as Greenskin, Smiler, Big Tim and a cast of 1000 others deployed the morning ritual!
Too bad it all went by so fast, but some great times and memories. And Congrats to Chris Sanseri for WINNING the poker tourney-- B! forgot to throw him a bone in the write-up ! DOH !

Anonymous said...

Great write-up about the Barcon! We had a lot of fun this year as well. And, without even knowing it I'm somehow 1/2 of a wrestling tag team? Fantastic! Following in the footsteps of Giants indeed!
We'll see B! next year!