Thursday, March 1, 2007

Classic Video Game fun with the Wii

Yes I am one of those people who picked up the Wii! This system I was very excited for as it was Ninendo’s first backward compatible consoles. You can play your GameCube games on the device with the old controllers and memory cards plus the new Wii games. Another good feature is the built in Wireless Networking. It was a pain at first to set up the networking but I think that was due to something wrong with the software on the system. After resetting my wireless router and letting the Wii do its automatic updates I was then able to resecure my wireless router again and the Wii worked just as before. Another sweet feature of this system was the ability to download old games from other Nintendo systems (NES, SNES, Nintendo 64) along with the Sega Genesis and something called TurboGrafx. Not sure what the last system was but the others excited me greatly as I’d be able to download old games for small fee ranging from $5-10 depending on the system. The motion sensing controllers sounded really cool and in use are great.

I love when playing the Wii Sports games that come with the system that you actually make real life motions to do things such as Pitch a baseball, swing a bat, swing a golf club, swing a tennis racket, bowl, or box. It’s actually a great workout and a great party game even if it is simplistic. I had a friend of mine who wants to get one now after we made her do the home run hitting mode. She knocked one so far it went out of the park. On another she swung so hard she slipped on our hard wood. But she was laughing the entire time. Her little girl did the practice range mode for golf and after a little trial and error was having a blast playing. This probably led more to her wanting the system then the fun she had. I personally can’t wait until Tiger Woods or Mario golf comes out for the system. I also want to see what they do with the basketball games.

When I bought the system I picked up Zelda and Madden. Two staple games for any Nintendo system. Zelda just rules!! I love the fact in this version you can fight from horseback and that you actually swing the controller to attack. Very fun and well put together game. Madden is a ton of fun like normal but with the Wii Controllers it’s even more fun. To hike the ball you pull the controller towards you. To throw you select your receiver and make a throwing motion. When running you can swing the controller/numchuck right or left to stiff arm or juke. Kicking can be very sensitive if you don’t watch the orientation of the controller all the way through the upswing motion. Any right or left tilting of the controller will cause the ball to slice or hook. Absolute blast and easier then remembering what button does what.

This system should appeal to just about any type of gamer I would think as even the first person games should absolutely rock what with aiming at the screen with the controller for you gun and stuff. I just can’t wait for some of the upcoming games to get released.

Currently I have only downloaded 2 games from the online store. They are Kid Ikarus and Donkey Kong Country. Kid Ikarus was one of those games that always stuck with me and my friends growing up. Hell we even have a common saying that came out of my frustration with this game. “You little dorks”. I’m having a blast remembering this game and reliving my youth. Donkey Kong Country, for the SNES, was a great game at the time and while the graphics are not quite what I remember it is still loads of fun to control Donkey and Diddy Kong in their mad cap adventures.

Well back to gaming for me I write another write up on my current video game of choice World of Warcraft sometime in the near future.

5 comments:

Ms Eva said...

Tee Hee.... swinging so hard she falls on the floor... that would be me. :)

Wii is great... I'm sure several people in my house would be elated to have one. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like B! may be having some trouble getting all his goods and services to fit into proper moving boxes? I think a good solution would be for you to leave the Wii in the company of the "girl" who smacked that 600+ foot home run and ended up on her tail! If nothing else, this may prevent her from SUING you for any injuries she may have sustained, such as the broken wrist which she claims was from running (just to protect B!'s feelings...how nice!)

Sensationalist Bef

Ms Eva said...

.... did I mention, my tailbone was broken in that fall as well ??

Anonymous said...

Actually, if my memory serves, there was a heel issue related to that fall. In fact, this is a chronic condition known as plantar fasciitis -- which could only have been brought on by a fall on one's tail bone.

Diversionist Kong

Ms Eva said...

Thought you might enjoy this website, B! :
Wii Hacks