Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ducks and Cuse move on

*Sigh*

That is the sigh of relief as the Ducks have moved onto the Sweet 16. In Round 1 they were just a tad off, well more like way off, from their Pac-10 Tournament games. Miami (OH) played well and almost got us in that game. We made a couple of moves but never could shake them even at the end. After that game I didn’t feel very good about our match up with Winthrop. I watched the Notre Dame/Winthrop game from round 1 and they have a post player that has some really good moves down in the post. Without a real big man of our own, sorry Maarty but you’re more of a forward then a center, I was worried they would eat us alive down low. However, Maarty and Malik did a fantastic job down low on the defensive end. Tajuan and Brooks both helped out as well I wish we could have seen the look on the guys face as he turned around and realized he had a 5’ 6” defender on him. That had to make him go WTF!! Great job all around by the entire team. Bryce again made baskets when needed and Tajuan and Brooks provided the 3-point daggers to put it away. However, even with Tajuan's 3-point barrage to start the second half I say the game ball should go to Maarty and Malik. Both of them worked hard on both ends of the court to fight for position, rebounds and put back shots.

Well now it’s onto the next round and a surprising, nationally anyway, UNLV team. Man this team looks dangerous. They might have been relatively unknown before the tourney but people sure see them now. This is going to be a tough game to pickas both teams have been shooting lights out in recent games. I didn’t get a chance to see either of UNLV's tournament games but reading the recaps this is a game where if either team has any cooling off at all it will cost them. I’m rooting for my Ducks but I can honestly say I don’t know who should win this game. I think both teams are similar but I’m hoping the off season workouts that the Duck players took upon themselves will allow them to out run the Running Rebels. In either case I think you might just want to strap yourself in because if both teams stay on the streaks they’re on currently this will be a high octane game that just might blow you out of your seats.

On the NIT front Syracuse has moved on again! Oh yeah the walked in that game! Now onto Clemson. This should be a tough game and even though I hate to say it I think Clemson has the edge in this game. But I’m still pulling for the Orange to pull it out with a gritty performance from Nichols. He’s going to want to keep it going into MSG and the finals for his last run!

As I’ve mentioned before many people probably wonder why a person who grew up on the Oregon Coast is a Syracuse fan. Well you have to go back to High School I think it was my Junior year and I was just getting into watching college basketball because I had stopped playing ball in school, which is another story in itself. At this time I had no ties to any of the in state schools other then OSU because my friend was going there. I hadn’t quite started looking at colleges for school yet. Anyways, the tournament was on and I was following it pretty closely as I love basketball more then just about anything in my life. I’ve never been one to really track players or remember when people were on what team. I’ve just always liked watching the games. As I’ve gotten older I have my teams I pull for and have less time to devote to my first love and passion. I’m hoping with the move I may reconnect again with this sport. Anyway back to my point in the tournament Syracuse was in and playing a game when I remembered my Stepfather went there. Now for some reason, looking back on it I think it was because how much my Stepfather has meant to me and what he had done for me yet another story for another time, I just clicked with them and their coach. Since then I’ve been hooked. I hope to never have to pick between the Orange of ‘Cuse and my Alma Mater Ducks because I don’t know who I’d side with. So far I have not had that dilemma and hopefully I never will unless it’s a title game!!

Well good luck to both teams in the next games hopefully both can move on.

No comments: