Friday, February 23, 2007

Welcome Home Fred Jones!!

Well one of my all-time favorite UO Duck men’s basketball players is coming home to Portland to play for the home town team of the Trailblazers. I’m very happy for him that he’ll get to play for his hometown team after an illustrious High School and College campaigns inside the state of Oregon! Now after his years at Indy and the last year up in Toronto he comes home. All the Portland locals and Duck fans will hopefully be rejoicing this new outcome. I don’t necessarily like they traded Dixon to get him but overall they got a better defender and athletic talent. Dixon was the better pure shooter but if Freddie, I just can’t not call him that sometimes, can get that confidence he had his Senior year at UO or during the suspension season for Indy that might not be an issue. Fred can play point if need be or the shooting/post up guard. Get him in space and he can beat just about anyone off the dribble to the hoop. He’s explosive still just known for getting down on himself and doubting his ability. Luke and Luke were able to get him to play to his fullest and when pressed to shine in the absence of the Indy stars he shined as well. Maybe being home and playing in front of a friendly, supportive hometown crowd will get him back up there.

Earlier I said Freddie was one of my all-time favorite. For a little insight into myself my favorite Duck basketball player ever was OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOrlando Williams!!! He had one of the sweetest rainbow, and I mean rainbow, shots I’ve ever seen. The guy just drained shots. I remember he was shooting from outside the three one game and he hit the scoreboard that’s how high of an arc he had. Plus standing in the student section we would always shout out “OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” when he had the ball. In no particular order here are some of my all time favorite UO ball players (note: to be considered they had to be someone I saw during my UO timeframe Fall 1991+ sorry to the players from before):

Orlando Williams
Freddie Jones
Clyde “The Glyde Air” Jordan
Luke Jackson
Luke Ridinour
Alex Scales
Kenya Wilkens
Jordan Kent
AD Smith
Bryan Bracey

For the Women’s Basketball team:

Jenny Mowe
Arianne Boyer
Debbie Sporcich (probably the greatest to play at Oregon in my time)
Shaquala Williams
Cathrine Kraayeveld
Jamie Craighead

If you have a favorite that is on or not on these lists let me hear from you. If I’ve misspelled a name of a player my apologies as I’m not the best speller ever and names are hard to spell check!

1 comment:

Ms Eva said...

just leting ya know i was here... i'm not that up on bball... i'd have to say u are my fav ducker player (yes, i know u weren't officially a team member)... i sure picked up my game thought playing with ya guys in Corvallis. Miss those days. We gonna get a game together in the islands ???