Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Move

Well my wife and I are reloacting to San Francisco later in the year. My wife was given an opportunity to relocate at work and this opportunity is a fantastic one for her career. I'm very excited about the move because I'm ready for something new in my life and a new city is just the thing to get a fresh start on many levels. It also doesn't hurt that the 49ers happen to be in San Francisco. I've been a 9er fan since I was born. My Grandmother instilled that in me but that's a story for another time. Anyway while I'm greatly excited about this there are some things that worry me.

First off is of course the cost of living down there is much greater then it is in Oregon here. Then of course there is where will we live? This will depend upon how much commuting my wife wants to do. But with her job, auditor, she'll be traveling to clients as much as she's in the office so not sure what area will be best in terms of location, cost and traffic. Well we still have a while to figure this out but I know it will probably go by faster then it should.

What will I do for a job? Now this question is the big one. I've been given an opportunity to figure out if I would like to change my occupation or not. Currenlty I'm a Computer Programmer by trade, although in my current job I don't really get to do any programming just system analysis and other support junk. So I could stick with programming and will probably have tons of options in the Bay Area as there are lots of tech companies down there. But also I have been thinking about teaching High School math and computers for about the last 10 years or so. Most people tell me I'd make a great teacher and my time in my current job has reinforced that notion with the many times I've sat down and walked people through how to do SQL, report writing and other stuff. So I may look into that.

Will we be able to sell our current house? This shouldn't be so bad as my wife's Sister-In-Law, she's a realator, will be helping us.

Well as more stuff comes up I'll be writing more on this subject.

No comments: