Thursday, September 25, 2008

BarCon Portland Trip Labor Day Weekend(Week)

Well for this year's BarCon the whole family took it's first plane trip since the little one arrived. Luckily for a first go it was only up to Portland. The trip up went smooth with just a minor fuss but nothing major.

We went up on Tuesday, August 26th. We dropped by my old office to show off the little man to my old co-workers and to have lunch with Nancy. Everyone loved Funky Town, thanks Uncle Bar for the nickname! After that we left to go stay with Grandma and Grandpa L down in Sheridan. We had a good visit for a couple of days.

On Thursday we had a family photo set with my Brother-in-law (BIL) and family, Grandma and Grandpa L, and Great Grandpa Cliff. It was a nice photo shoot and some good pictures were taken. (note: when we get some ordered I'll scan and add to the post) The wife took me over to BarCon and she continued on to my BIL's house.

The wife and kid stayed at her Brother's for a couple nights then swapped over to our friend Dawg's house for the rest of our visit.

BarCon as usual was a blast and a good time to catch up with folks both known old and new. This year's theme was The Good, The Bad and The BarCon. So many games came out with Western motif's along with some bales of hay for seating out in the garage gaming room. Friday morning was the Disc Golf tournament ("Flying Buffalo Chip"), which for the second year in a row I had a good start but faded quick! As one competitor let me know for the rest of the weekend. No names now but you know who you are. Then it was back for more games leading up to yet another year of Befferdy. Was this the year for me to claim back my rightful crown as undisputed Befferdy Champ? Well with the help of Wilson, along with a side of help from Unc, we eeked out the Victory in order to avenge my lone loss from last year! In your face Mr. Bar!!! Later that night the wolves came out to play.....not just any wolves but Werewolves. Werewolf is a great group game that you should check out if you've never played before. It's also a BarCon Icon! Saturday brings the biggest day of gaming with games all day. For the second straight year the Wilson kids hosted a Battleball tournament. I had a good showing for once but was knocked off by the biggest cheese of them all...Big Tim! After more gaming it was time for one of the biggest events in BarCon history the 4th Annual BarCon No Limit Texas Hold'em Tournament. This year in final heads up play it was Gene Gene the Gnome Stompin Machine (WoW reference couldn't help myself) versus Big Game James with Big Game pulling out the Victory! Sunday started off with the fun run ("Stagecoach Robery") like usual I didn't participate, what a surprise, but I did help out with doing timing and taking some, hopefully, killer video! After that it was game time until the big BBQ to wrap BarCon all up.

For me I hit a wall when my son showed up. I wasn't prepared for how much I was actually going to miss him. That on top of having to say goodbye to my long, long time friend Bar was a bit much emotionally for me. Had to get out of there. But unfortunately I didn't get to say goodbye to Kong but did make amends by calling from the airport on the way home.

After BarCon we stayed with our friend the Dawgs Sunday and Monday night. Dawg and I caught the move Dark Knight and it lived up to all the hype. One of the rare sequel better then original movies.

So Tuesday morning we flew back home. We had a slight melt down on the flight but luckily again nothing too bad compared to what we had prepared ourselves to go through. Hopefully this bodes well for our Hawaii trip.

Well until next years BarCon watch out for your Brains!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to have you at Barcon again B! and nice to meet little F.T. as well.

Glad that trip too and from was smooth sailing. Looks like you're ready for a BIG away game in Nov.

Aloha!
--Bar

Anonymous said...

Yeah great to have B! a staple at BarCon this year! Thanks for helping with the Poker Tourney also.

And Congrats again for reclaiming the Befferdy Crown...but what happened on your rendition of the Soviet National Anthem? You actually looked poised to pull it off and shock all in attendance, but a fit of hysterical laughter seemed to overwhelm you before the last bit of it. Still, an honorable showing and Nikoli Volkov himself would have been proud. In fact, I will ask that you all now STAND and respect my signing off from this blog.

Bef