Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Flags at Half Mast in 9er Land

It is with a heavy and sad heart that I write this entry. Bill Walsh the man who is the San Francisco 49ers to many of us fans passed away this past week after battling leukemia. The Bill Walsh era of the 49ers happened during my childhood so it is the 9ers that I remember the most and still to this day love. Eddie DeBartalo, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, Tom Rathman, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig (the greatest and most under-appreciated RB)..... The list goes on for those teams of my childhood but the man at the helm has always topped that list in my opinion when it comes to the 9ers. While he had all those great players it was his ability to get the most out of them and to utilize their talents properly that made all of them Super Stars.

I can remember one year in College when Stanford came to play my Ducks I sat there the entire time looking at Stanfords sidelines looking at the living legend for the entire game. I can't even tell you who won that game because one of my Idols from childhood was there doing what he does best coaching. And I see it as a great great honor that I got to have that experience in my lifetime. The only thing that would have been better was to be at a 9er game when he was still coaching.

Well Coach Walsh you will be missed but you have impacted many people over the years that you will live on in memory for a very, very long time.

No comments: